Who we are
Women’s Views on News (WVoN) is a women’s news, opinions and current affairs site, operating on a not-for-profit basis.
Set up in January 2010, our UK co-editors write news, features and opinion pieces exclusively about women.
In 2010, according to the five-yearly Global Media Monitoring Project, women were under-represented in terms of news content:
- Only 13% of all stories focus specifically on women.
- Only 6% of stories highlight issues of gender equality or inequality.
- 46% of stories reinforce gender stereotypes, almost eight times higher than stories that challenge such stereotypes (6%).
- Stories by female reporters are visibly more likely to challenge stereotypes than those filed by male reporters and are also less likely to reinforce stereotypes than those reported by men.
- Only 10% of stories quote or refer to relevant local, national, regional or international legal instruments on gender equality and/or human rights.
Our aim is to redress the gender imbalance in global news reporting by telling the stories that the mainstream press ignores, while at the same time encouraging more feminist writers to become news reporters and editors.
If you interested in writing for us, contact: email@example.com