Anti Wall Street demos continue
Summary of story from CommonDreams, September 23, 2011
The “Occupy Wall Street” protests have transformed New York’s Zuccotti Park from a spot where Wall Streeters grab a lunchtime sandwich into an informal camp of revolutionaries, socialists, anarchists and quite a lot of the just-plain-annoyed.
And each morning and evening several hundred protesters set off to march by the New York Stock Exchange.
The protest has morphed into a wide-ranging anti-capitalist demonstration that has attracted attention – and support – from around the world.
One protester, standing bare-breasted behind a poster that proclaimed “Capitalism Isn’t Working”, explained that her lack of clothing was a metaphor.
“I can’t afford a shirt. Wall Street has stolen the shirts from our backs,” she said.
“What everybody’s here protesting is that fact that 1 percent of the population controls so much wealth. We are the rest of society. We are the 99 percent,” said protester Becky Wartell.