subscribe: Posts | Comments

Bahrain announces new trial for convicted medics

0 comments

Summary of story from CNN, October 6 2011

Bahrain will give a new trial to a group of 20 medical staff convicted of trying to overthrow the government, officials announced Wednesday (see WVoN story).

Bahrain’s Information Affairs Authority said the public prosecutor announced the new trial for the medical staff, who received prison sentences ranging from five to 15 years.

The 20 were detained during protests. Their conviction last week sparked anger among human rights groups and the international community.

The US State Department said it was “deeply disturbed.” Amnesty International called it a “travesty of justice.”

However, doubts have been raised by some of those involved over how different the new trial would be.

Dentist Nada Dhaif said the government had sought to attack them in the media, and that evidence and witnesses in their defense had not been listened to in the military court.

If they had been given a fair trial in the military court then all the medics would have been found innocent, she insisted.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *